• Wednesday , 26 November 2014

Getting dominated by the Grand Canyon [Video]

As you probably remember, we recently completed a 12 mile hike down the Grand Canyon.  While I was not going to carry the extra weight of a camera, Chris decided that he was strong enough to do it for the both of us.   I’m not going to lie, I was pretty impressed that he not only carried our big DSLR down (and up) the Canyon, but also managed to capture some incredible shots.  From prickly pears to slimy snakes, he caught almost everything on film.

Behold, our big hike down the Grand Canyon.

BOOM.

So, what did you think?  Is the Canyon grand enough?  Would your or have you ever hiked the Bright Angel Trail?  Let us know in the comment section below.

1. Sandi McKenna
    September 24, 2012 at 5:49 am - Reply

LOVE the Grand Canyon adventure .. and the videography was AWESOME!!!!

2. Jack
    September 24, 2012 at 7:58 am - Reply

Awesome short little video. Nicely done. Love the Canyon, it’s an incredibly beautiful place even in the dead of summer.

3. The World Wanderer
    September 24, 2012 at 2:54 pm - Reply

Wow! This is a beautiful hike, and one I will definitely be adding to my list. I totally understand the “what were we thinking” feeling. :)

September 24, 2012 at 3:03 pm - Reply

Six miles up wasn’t so bad, until the sun came back out and the temp jumped 20 degrees. Still worth every step though. No picture does this place justice.

4. Mike's Road Trip
    September 24, 2012 at 7:12 pm - Reply

You’re in my back yard now. How was it? I’ve hiked the Canyon a number of times in different spots…it’s a hell of a trek. I’ve never done a video though. A place I’d love to film is Havasupai…ever heard of it? Amazing spot with several turquoise waterfalls in the western part of the Canyon. Here are some pics, but they’re really bad…taken with my first digital camera…which was only 1.1 mp. lol, as I said, a long time ago! :-)

5. JoAnne Schaub
    September 25, 2012 at 5:36 am - Reply

Love the commentary as always! Dan and I went to the Grand Canyon for our honeymoon in 1997…I think it’s time for a return trip!

6. D.J. - The World of Deej
    September 25, 2012 at 5:20 pm - Reply

Great stuff…I’ve spent about 2 hours in the Grand Canyon. Took a helicopter from Vegas and had lunch. Yeah, I definitely need to go back and do it right…

7. Charu
    September 26, 2012 at 9:37 am - Reply

I absolutely loved this video–brought back memories of my own hike down the Bright Angel Trail, Chris’ videography ROCKS. You have inspired me to do more of my own!

September 26, 2012 at 9:55 am - Reply

Not for me.. I went to the Canyon and took some photos ;) but loved the video. You guys are really good at this.

September 26, 2012 at 5:15 pm - Reply

LOVE the film. Now I don’t actually have to die making the hike myself. Love Chris’ alabaster skin. ;-)

10. Francesca
    September 28, 2012 at 10:20 am - Reply

The Canyon is most certainly grand. I made my first and only trip there just a few years ago when Lucia was barely a year old, so we didn’t get to do any real hiking. We stuck to the tourist trails around the rim and hubs & I both said, We’re coming back to get INTO that canyon! Based on your experience, should we? :-)

Fab video, guys!

11. Ava Apollo
    September 28, 2012 at 11:23 pm - Reply

Haha, I made my brother carry the DSLR when we did a 12 miler in Yosemite for the same reason! It’s good to have boys around sometimes :)

12. John
    September 29, 2012 at 9:52 am - Reply

Now that I’m working in Phoenix the Grand Canyon is tantalizingly close. I went once before, but definitely didn’t appreciate it for all that it was worth at that young age. I think I’m going to have a to spend a weekend in Arizona to check it out!

September 30, 2012 at 8:40 am - Reply

I have never hiked the Bright Angel, but I hiked down the Boucher Trail down to the river and came up the Hermit’s Rest Trail. These trails are not as crowded as the Bright Angel. I would like to check out the Bright Angel Trail next time. Looks like you ran into a rattlesnake. Very cool. Grand Canyon rattlesnakes actually have a reputation for being docile and laid back as opposed to aggressive. Must be the beauty of the canyon that mellows them out.

14. Craig Zabransky
    October 1, 2012 at 4:03 pm - Reply

Hiked this same hike. Took 3 hours down, almost 5 up and when you add another hour at the plateau point for lunch we arrived to the top in near darkness. I was exhausted for a few days. How long did it take you guys?

But, even though exhausted the views were simply amazing. Worth it every ounce of sweat too.

stay adventurous, Craig

15. Raul (@ilivetotravel)
    October 1, 2012 at 6:36 pm - Reply

Pretty cool, guys!! I have been to the GC but never done the hike. Maybe some time!

16. crazy sexy fun traveler
    October 6, 2012 at 1:10 am - Reply

I see that I should relly visit this amazing place!

17. arizona vacation homes
    October 11, 2012 at 8:45 am - Reply

Hi guys! Great blog! Plus, I love your sense of humor!