• Saturday , 25 October 2014

How to stay safe (and sanitary) in India [VIDEO]

photo credit.

The time for preparation is upon us!  In less than one week we’ll be on our way to India, the country of curry, silk, and the biggest erection made for a woman.  Well, the last one is disputable.  In the hopes of being prepared for almost any situation, we decided to make a list of the must-haves we always carry on us while traveling, and more importantly, what we’re taking with us to India.

If you’re more of a visual person, we recommend watching the video.  If you prefer reading, go ahead and skip it.  We like options.

Item #1: Hand sanitizer.

things to pack for india

Yup, we take this special, tingly stuff with us everywhere.  We love the travel size bottles that can easily fit in a purse or pocket.  A little dab of hand sanitizer will definitely help kill off any bacteria your hands pick up while on your travels.  It’s especially important in India since it’s customary to eat with your right hand.  The cleaner the utensil, the better.  Fun fact: the bacteria and germs on the faucet are usually just as plentiful as those on the toilet.  If the faucet isn’t automatic, it’s best to just use hand sanitizer.

Item #2: Doxycycline.

You know what’s NOT fun while on a trip?  Getting malaria.  While most of India seems to be malaria free, there are still some places where it’s prevalent.  Since we’re not exactly sure where we’ll be traveling, we’ve decided to go ahead and protect ourselves.  There are many different prescriptions one can take to ward off malaria and we went with doxycycline.  We have to take the pills daily and we start two days before we depart for India and have to continue our daily pill routine 30 days after we return.  Talk about a pain in the ass.  Still, it’s better than malaria.

Item #3: Sunscreen.

Ah-ha.  This product is extra important because we are on doxycycline.  Yup, our malaria meds will make us more sensitive to the sun and Chris’ alabaster skin must be protected.   We tend to wear sunscreen regardless of whether it’s sunny or not.  It’s important to remember that one can still get a sunburn even if the clouds are out.

Item #4:  Pepto Bismol.

pack pepto bismol while traveling

Say it with us.  Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea.  Yes, the chalky pink tablets and/or silky pink milkshake will help take care of it all.  It’s always nice to have a little pepto on hand to help ease the pain one might acquire after one too many lassis or a bad batch of curry.  We happen to enjoy the taste (sick, I know) but are hoping that we won’t ever need it while in India.  Crossing our fingers.

Item #5. Anti-Diarrhea Medicine.

We adhere to the belief that the reason your body is expelling all bodily fluids is because they shouldn’t be there.  Your body knows best and is trying to rid itself of everything that doesn’t belong.  While you should let your body do its job, there are some times while traveling that you need to well…er, plug it up.  Enter anti-diarrhea medicine.  While it’s not fun to talk about, it will definitely help stop the frequent bathroom visits.

Item #6. Alarm doorstop.

use doorstop alarm while on travels

One of the best things that we’ve recently picked up is the alarm doorstop.  These things are perfect for the intrepid traveler that loves to stay in shady hostels.  It works like a regular doorstop in that it will make it difficult for someone to open the door.  It has an added bonus of an alarm so that if someone does try to enter your room, an alarm will sound notifying you of the intruder while simultaneously scaring them off and making a big commotion.  Win-win-win.

That’s it for this round of “Packing with Captain and Clark.”  We’ll have more videos coming at you next week.  Still, we’d like to hear any advice (packing or otherwise) that you have for India.  Leave your goods in the comment section below.

October 8, 2012 at 6:06 am - Reply

Loved the video! And interesting info about the side effects of medicine. So excited about your trip, guys!

2. The World Wanderer
    October 8, 2012 at 8:04 am - Reply

I think this is my absolute favorite video. Loving the packing supplies! Feel like those are the items I always seem to be traveling with…sans the armor, of course. Also, love the doorstop, may have to add that to my list.

October 8, 2012 at 9:41 am - Reply

you know how i love these packing lists! BRAVO!! i’m so excited for you two. India is definitely on my short list. can’t wait to hear how it goes. it’ll be great -i’m sure!

October 8, 2012 at 12:15 pm - Reply

This might have made me laugh harder than any of your other videos. And +1 for Chris’ dapper look.

October 8, 2012 at 3:29 pm - Reply

whaaaat! that alarm doorstop is straight out of skymall. i like, i like.

6. Raul (@ilivetotravel)
    October 8, 2012 at 7:15 pm - Reply

Listen, don’t forget CIPRO!! If you do catch something, this 3-day antibiotic will take care of it. Don’t like to use it but I ALWAYS carry it. Also, ear plugs because you never know it is going to be noisy wherever you stay. Have a blast and I am relieved to hear that Chris’ alabaster skin will be protected!

October 8, 2012 at 8:03 pm - Reply

Good call on the CIPRO, Raul. I almost forgot about that. The last thing we want is to get a nasty case of something bad.

7. Pola (@jettingaround)
    October 8, 2012 at 7:19 pm - Reply

Handy list! That door stop is a pretty cool gadget, even if I don’t stay in hostels. And I thought nothing could surprise me anymore, ever. :D

8. Andrea
    October 8, 2012 at 8:16 pm - Reply

OK, I’ll definitely be getting one of those alarm doorstops! I had a regular boring rubber one… this one is MUCHO better! Stay safe and sanitary guys!

9. Nomadic Translator
    October 9, 2012 at 9:01 am - Reply

that Alarm doorstop is BRILLIANT. I am so excited, you have no idea. I. Must. Get. It.

Safe travels in India! So happy you guys won — I voted :)

– Maria Alexandra

10. Amanda
    October 9, 2012 at 10:05 pm - Reply

Hahaha I love the video. And you. Every time I watch you guys in a video together, I want to marry you both.

11. D.J. - The World of Deej
    October 11, 2012 at 12:04 pm - Reply

The “Hello Clarise” had me rolling… You guys are gonna have a blast, and hopefully avoid that whole malaria thing…

October 14, 2012 at 9:54 am - Reply

The door stop sounds like a great idea although I am sure it has scared the beejeesus out of many a hotel and hostel maid.

13. Craig Zabransky
    October 14, 2012 at 11:05 am - Reply

For hostel travel, I think ear plugs and an eye mask are essentials too. Darkness and silence are often hard to come by…

stay adventurous, Craig

14. Lauren
    October 16, 2012 at 9:08 am - Reply

You two are a hoot. Wishing you wonderful and safe adventures in India!!

15. John
    October 18, 2012 at 7:34 pm - Reply

numbers 5 and 6 seem especially important in India. I love the idea of the alarm backstop if you’re staying in a private room, but would you use this in a shared room?

16. Jenny
    October 26, 2012 at 5:10 am - Reply

Heh. Great advice! I love the door alarm doorstop. Such a good idea!