• Saturday , 20 September 2014

Spokane in a Day

We’ve found ourselves in Spokane, WA for a little while before we leave for Alberta, Canada. Since Spokane is one of our many homes we thought we might suggest a few things to do if you’re here for a day and looking for adventure.

Way Out Weststatues and stuff near I 90 Spokane

Located just off of I-90, this is a magical land of all things amazing. If the fact that there is a UFO perched out front doesn’t say it all then perhaps you’ll be more impressed by the chance to fight a T-Rex. No matter what kind of oddities you’re into you’re sure to find something at Way Out West. It’s a living museum that ebbs and flows daily. I’d say it’s more art than anything. Everything you see as you meander around is for sale too.

Tawny and I just picked up a cow skull there. We added some yarn and feathers and hey presto, “art!”

947324_766498509130_1895344698_n

what is the place with the ufo off of I 90 Spokane

Yes, it’s also a grill.

unique things to do in SPokane

If you’re in the mood to check it out you can find this gem of Spokane at 11610 W White Rd, Spokane, WA 99224.

Manito Park – Japanese Gardens

Manito Park is a beautiful city park with a whole bunch of different sections. There is a green house conservatory with desert and tropical flowers, a wild flower garden, cliff view, traditional rose garden, pond, lilac garden, and even a Japanese garden. The only hard part about visiting the Manito area is trying to decide which part is best.

Manito Park

Gaiser Conservatory

interesting things to do in Spokane

Dirty plants…

Captain Chris Staudinger

Find your zen in the Japanese Gardens

what to do in Spokane

Enjoy Spokane, the lilac city

Captain Chris StaudingerBoo Radley’s

The benchmark of the wonderful and bizarre. Are you looking for zombie lawn gnomes, tongue-in-cheek cards, or ice cubes shaped like the Titanic? Well, boy howdy do I have a shop for you! It’s right downtown and without a shadow of a doubt, one of the coolest places in Spokane. I always buy my Sasquatch bait there.

The end is near

The end is near

Madeleine’s

My favorite brunch spot in all of Spokane. It isn’t just the pretty baristas, the homemade french pastries, or the artisan coffee. No. It’s the Reuben. Madeleine’s reuben is the best in the state, maybe the country. Winner of countless awards and my heart, it’s more of a work of passion than a mere sandwich. The soft Parisian pastels of this local eatery will lull you into a false sense of calm, the flavors here are powerful enough to turn back the mighty Spokane river.

best places to eat in Spokane best food in Spokane delicious Spokane

The Looff Carousel

Built in 1909, this is a carousel that features a whole herd of hand carved horses. Oliver’s Pride is clearly the best. Nonetheless, any of the outside horses offer you a chance to grab a ring as you pass around. Then you get the opportunity to try to throw the ring into a target. It was a blast as a kid, and it’s still fun now. If you catch the elusive brass ring you get a free ride… and also glory and honor the rest of your days.

IMG_2802 IMG_2801 IMG_2798

The River

IMG_0194

It’s hard to talk about Spokane and not mention the river. Especially now in the spring when it’s erupting right beneath the bridges. The Spokane river is such a majestic and terrible force that you can feel it vibrate as you stand on the cable bridges that connect the islands in the middle of Riverfront park. If you come to Spokane you simply must allow yourself the opportunity to stand in awe of the mighty Spokane river.

Spokane has so much to offer. These are just a few of the must-do tips for Spring. Did we miss one of your favorite parts? Want to hear our top 10? Let us know in the comments below!

1. Steve Miller
    May 14, 2013 at 3:14 am - Reply

I have to say, that muffin/cinnamon roll thingy looks damn tasty! Maybe because it’s the end of a long day and I am about to head home, but I could really go for that right now.

WA is a beautiful state and one that I’ve always enjoyed exploring – especially Olympic NP.
    Steve Miller recently posted…Japanese Netizens Criticize AbeMy Profile

May 14, 2013 at 9:25 am - Reply

The Olympics are off the charts. Have you been to the hot springs out there?

• Steve Miller
        May 14, 2013 at 1:00 pm - Reply

Honestly I can’t remember. I have more vivid memories of hiking through the area. It’s been well over 30 years since my last thorough trek into the park. I hope to rectify that soon.
        Steve Miller recently posted…Japanese Netizens Criticize AbeMy Profile

2. Vid | Bruised Passports
    May 14, 2013 at 3:07 pm - Reply

Guys,

Savi is going to kill me for saying this but I actually want Spokane to be the first place I visit in the U.S. So quirky! I love the grill and the UFO. Will probably stay away from the river though – looks scary. We are used to the timid Thames :)
    Vid | Bruised Passports recently posted…Wears: The His & Hers EditionMy Profile

3. Kieu ~ GQ trippin
    May 14, 2013 at 11:27 pm - Reply

You know I have a soft spot for all things Washington – it’s a little bit of home. :)
    Kieu ~ GQ trippin recently posted…Where To Stay: ThailandMy Profile

May 16, 2013 at 4:31 am - Reply

Looks very pretty :)
    @mrsoaroundworld recently posted…My hOtel: The Spa Suite at The Westin Grand, Berlin @westinberlinMy Profile

5. D.J. - The World of Deej
    May 16, 2013 at 5:50 am - Reply

Chris, you have an annual past to Way Out West don’t you? A few great sites…I had no idea Spokane had a river! Learn something ever day!
    D.J. – The World of Deej recently posted…A Bird’s Eye View of the Oasis of the SeasMy Profile

6. thelazytravelers
    May 16, 2013 at 7:04 am - Reply

madeleine’s looks riiight up our alley. but like, do they serve wine?
    thelazytravelers recently posted…foodie break: bangpop, melbourneMy Profile

7. Anita Mac
    May 17, 2013 at 9:22 am - Reply

You guys get up to the craziest things!!! You’ll have to come do a color run with me some time….think it will be right up your alley!
    Anita Mac recently posted…Running the Rochester Color RunMy Profile

8. Jeremy Branham
    May 17, 2013 at 10:00 am - Reply

I would love to visit here one day – and I will. I have family that lives here yet I haven’t visited yet. I also want to check out a football game in nearby Pullman.
    Jeremy Branham recently posted…A walk through Pittsburgh (photo essay)My Profile

May 19, 2013 at 7:59 am - Reply

I MUST go to Boo Radley’s. It’s my all-time favorite book, so I must meet the people who’ve given a tip of the hat to one of its characters.

Great shot of Chris in the bush. ;-)
    Leah Travels recently posted…7 Flights & a Camel {how I got to Maui from Jordan}My Profile

May 19, 2013 at 11:55 am - Reply

i want to go to the park with the gigantic gun grill just for the photo ops!
    lola recently posted…Ultra Music Festival – Miami EditionMy Profile

11. Raul (@ilivetotravel)
    May 19, 2013 at 12:15 pm - Reply

I had no mental image of Spokane before but now I am terrified of going there with those dinosaurs and mean-looking gnome! Oh wait, that was Chris. I am OK visiting now :)
    Raul (@ilivetotravel) recently posted…Following the Foot- (or Camel-?) Steps of Lawrence of Arabia in Jordan’s Wadi RumMy Profile

12. Erin at The World Wanderer
    May 20, 2013 at 6:11 pm - Reply

This place looks amazing! I’m sure I’d have fun, but after looking at your photos, I’d like you to accompany me there. That would make it even better. :)
    Erin at The World Wanderer recently posted…Music Monday: Make it Rain.My Profile

13. Terry Simon
    May 21, 2013 at 2:35 am - Reply

That looks awesome! Very quirky indeed. I love that grill so much! It looks like you had so much fun there and it would have been a great day and I am kind of jealous right about now. I also liked the pictures of food, apart from making me hungry that is.

14. Tim Moon
    May 21, 2013 at 10:47 pm - Reply

Right on, Spokane is my hometown. I used to live across the street from the duck pond in Manito Park. It’s weird to see Spokane, of all places, on a travel blog. Manito Park and Riverfront Park were my childhood playgrounds. I used to ride my bike all over the place. Bowl and Pitcher was a fun place too. Did you two get a chance to go there?

Seeing pictures of the merry go round brings back so many memories! Do they still have that creepy clown face you throw the rings into?
    Tim Moon recently posted…Travel Q&A with Flip NomadMy Profile

May 22, 2013 at 1:06 pm - Reply

Ha! No. Luckily they changed that clown into a horse. It’s way less creepy now. Right on though, we love the Bowl and Pitcher. We might be filming there in July. We wanted to get Cat Tales too.

15. Thomas
    May 22, 2013 at 5:46 am - Reply

OMG this place looks amazing! Especially as no place like this would ever be complete without a UFO parked out front. Good work guys, looks like you had a fun day!

16. Packers and Movers Bangalore
    July 3, 2013 at 12:27 am - Reply

Great and creative adventure, i like these pictures thanks for sharing this page.
    Packers and Movers Bangalore recently posted…Packers and Movers in Bangalore, Household Shifting in BangaloreMy Profile

17. Packers and movers Hyderabad
    July 3, 2013 at 12:29 am - Reply

wow… amazing adventure, thanks for sharing this pic, food is looking so yammy, i like this page.
    Packers and movers Hyderabad recently posted…Packers and Movers in Hyderabad, Household Shifting in HyderabadMy Profile

18. Gabriel
    August 4, 2013 at 8:48 am - Reply

Awesome run through of the place. The gardens look amazing. If I’m ever there I will definitely pay a visit =)
    Gabriel recently posted…Fire Dancing, Flying Trapeze and Silks – Kaiceitos CircusMy Profile