Eating our way through Rome with Walks of Italy

It’s been a little over two months and we’re still dreaming about our delicious time in Italy. Like the Taj Mahal in India, the food in Italy is one aspect of the country that is not overrated. It’s one of those things that you always hear about, “Oh, the pizza in Italy is the best” and “The pasta in Italy is to die for”, but you really don’t know how true those statements are until you’re there and shoving it into your own mouth. We’ve learned that one of the best ways to get to truly know a place is through it’s food and let me tell you, Italian food is the gateway to Italy.

While Walks of Italy offers a plethora of different tours all over Italy, it’s their food tours that struck a chord in our hearts. These tours truly make you feel like family. It seemed like we had known our guide, Simona, for years. In fact, Simona studied abroad in the very same town that I grew up in. I don’t know who the hell sent her to Silverdale, Washington, but I’m glad we were able to have that local connection.

While the world seemed small, we needed giant appetites to get us through Walks of Italy’s Rome food tour. The website tells you to come with an empty stomach for a reason. We started our day with a sampling of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. That may sound harmless enough, but after eating countless pieces of fresh bread that’s been dripped with a melange of oil and vinegar, I was already feeling satiated. Throw in more bread topped with various truffle oils and I was ready for a nap. That was only twenty minutes into our three hour tour.

We walked the market as Simona pointed out the fresh and local produce. We ended up ducking into a small cove that serves as a butcher shop and were offered platters of cured meat. Some of the samples were spicy, some were sweet, and all were satisfying. As cured meat and cheese pair well together, the following stop had us at a cheese shop within walking distance from the market. This was where all my dreams came true. We feasted on real, fresh mozzarella. Did you know that the mozzarella that we eat in the States is a fraud? Real mozzarella di bufala campana comes from the Italian water buffalo that grazes in certain areas in Campania, Lazio, Apulia, and Molise. I thought that I had tasted real mozzarella before, but I was wrong. So wrong.

Rome food tour

I was ready to deliriously waddle back to our apartment for that nap, but I was reminded that the pièce de résistance was still to come. We had our very own pizzas to make. If copious amounts of cheese, meat, bread, and truffle oil wasn’t enough, I was now expected to make and eat my own pizza. Yes, it was a quite a burden. One that I was all too happy to bear.

In true Italian fashion, we ended our tour with what is arguably Rome’s best coffee. I was never the person who could just drink a shot of espresso straight, but after trying Sant’Eustachio Il Caffè, I was a convert. You can’t beat a well-made shot of coffee, in Rome no less.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do and eat. Eat well. We highly recommend Walks of Italy not only for their incredible food tours, but as a great company in general. Be sure to head over to their website and check out their numerous tours in Rome, Vatican City, Venice, Florence, Pisa, Pompeii, Amalfi, Tuscany, Umbria, Milan, and Puglia. Flights to Rome tend to go up during the peak seasons, but deals can be found if your travel days are flexible. If you’re looking for a Rome city break, check our villa rentals in the surrounding countryside. The food is just as spectacular.

Walks of Italy Rome food tourHave you been to Italy? What was the best meal you experienced while there? We’d love to hear about your Italian culinary expeditions in the comment section below.

Our gut-busting Rome food tour was courtesy of Walks of Italy. All opinions are our own. Would we pay for this tour in the future? Definitely. We believe that it’s worth every penny.

1. Savi
    June 12, 2013 at 11:05 am - Reply

Reading this post brought back memories of Italy- I would love to live there just for the food 🙂 Did you guys travel to Liguaria when you were in Italy? The food there is the BEST
    Savi recently posted…Summer BrightsMy Profile

2. Glenn Winters
    June 12, 2013 at 4:37 pm - Reply

I spent two summers in Roma at an opera festival. So many food memories! Most of all the amazing produce everywhere. Peaches, mangos – mamma mia, the mangos; juice running down my chin, drenching the front of my shirt. Tanto buono! The nearest good restaurant to the festival hotel (Hotel Torre Rossa) was a neighborhood spot called La Nocetta. Friendly staff, wonderful risotto al forno. But the best restaurant I tried was La Pollarola at the Campo di Fiori. Truly excellent food! WANT TO GO BACK!!
    Glenn Winters recently posted…Who said it? An opera-quote matching gameMy Profile

3. Kieu ~ GQ trippin
    June 12, 2013 at 9:59 pm - Reply

Notch-yo cheese.. LOL! Oh.. Clark. That song on the video made me fuzzy inside, I don’t know why. You had me at Rome on this post. LOVE!
    Kieu ~ GQ trippin recently posted…Day Trip: Niagara Fallin’ from TorontoMy Profile

4. Virginia (@_vduran)
    June 13, 2013 at 3:17 am - Reply

Loved to live in Rome, food was definitely one of the best aspects. I did a guide of what to miss that could be helpful!
    Virginia (@_vduran) recently posted…Curiosities: 11 Libraries Which You Would Love to Study InMy Profile

5. Lesley Peterson
    June 13, 2013 at 6:42 pm - Reply

I so hear you on the mozzarella! In Calabria it’s served as an entree and I always choose it over something else. Great photos of the salami swags. Sooo LOVE this post!
    Lesley Peterson recently posted…ArtSmart Roundtable: Deciphering Dalí’s The Hallucinogenic ToreadorMy Profile

6. Kristin of Be My Travel Muse
    June 14, 2013 at 8:43 pm - Reply

I never thought of myself as a foodie until I started traveling. Now I realize what all of the fuss is about. I’ll gladly go somewhere just to try the food. Can’t wait for Italy this fall! Consider my appetite whetted. Love your videos as always.

7. Anita Mac
    June 16, 2013 at 11:13 am - Reply

I have read a few reviews about the Walks of Italy tours…they all look so mouth watering and awesome. Next time in Rome, I will have to look them up! No doubt about it!
    Anita Mac recently posted…Adventures with Explorers’ Edge – quintessentials of the Canadian wildernessMy Profile

8. lola dimarco
    June 16, 2013 at 2:46 pm - Reply

Walks of Italy is fantastic! Alina and Lucia so wonderfully “taught” us how to cook in Il Fontanaro (its on the border between Umbria and Tuscany, about 2 hours from Florence and Rome). The food is divine in Italy and hardly ever overrated! The quality and fresh food is just too hard to resist!
    lola dimarco recently posted…One Day Stay: Barcelona, SpainMy Profile

June 17, 2013 at 7:32 am - Reply

This was totally one of my favorite things I did in Rome…ever. I had a different guide, but the tour looks the same. Don’t get me started on that truffle balsamic vinegar.
    Leah Travels recently posted…Getting Medieval in Costa Brava, SpainMy Profile

10. Jarmo
    June 17, 2013 at 5:17 pm - Reply

I absolutely loved the mozarella in Italy, it’s so good. Went for a long weekend in Umbria, drove around, found little restaurants, and ate so much mozarella, whether that was on a pizza or in a salad, I had to have it. And yes, after coming back, I’ve never looked pizza the same way 😉
    Jarmo recently posted…Sneak Preview of the Canadian AdventureMy Profile

11. Victoria Ellen Lee
    June 19, 2013 at 7:18 am - Reply

I’m in Florence, Italy at the moment… the ice cream is to die for and the pizza… wow, the pizza.. I’m consuming a criminal amount of a daily basis but boy is it worth it!

12. Scott - Quirky Travel Guy
    June 19, 2013 at 8:55 am - Reply

Cured meats? Cheeses? Pizza? Sign me up! Although I’m used to Chicago deep dish pizza… I wonder how Italians feel about that bastardized version of their dish.
    Scott – Quirky Travel Guy recently posted…What’s it like to visit a ghost town full of toxic waste? Welcome to Picher, Oklahoma…My Profile

13. Francesca
    June 19, 2013 at 7:09 pm - Reply

Fact: everything in Italy tastes better 🙂 But each time I’ve been to Rome, I have not focused at all on food. It was all about the history and the ruins. Perhaps I need to hook up with Walks of Italy next time I’m there.
    Francesca recently posted…Delta Chelsea, meet Eaton Chelsea: Changes at Canada’s largest hotelMy Profile

June 19, 2013 at 9:14 pm - Reply

It looks like the food here is a little bit better than the poutine in Toronto, although that did rock. I love the hand charade Simona does at approximately 1:15 of the video. Looks like she is quite passionate about the food.
    Traveling Ted recently posted…Toronto liquor store hours make for a beer buying adventureMy Profile

June 20, 2013 at 7:28 am - Reply

Omg, I haven’t been to Rome properly for over 5 years and need to go back. Yum!
    @mrsoaroundworld recently posted…How important is hotel safety? Some food for thought thanks to British AirwaysMy Profile

16. Gonzalo
    June 22, 2013 at 4:31 am - Reply

Lucky you two, awesome food..

17. gregory urbano
    June 24, 2013 at 3:13 am - Reply

great video! you had me craving italian at 5:30 am in the morning!
    gregory urbano recently posted…Welcome to GulfportMy Profile

18. sarah jacob
    August 6, 2013 at 4:55 am - Reply

WOW Mouth watering stuff …..I have been Rome 2 times and really love Italian food …mozzarella , Olive oil feels awesome ….
    sarah jacob recently posted…house 1My Profile

19. Marysia @ My Travel Affairs
    August 8, 2013 at 6:45 am - Reply

Wow, Definitely next time when I’m in Rome! Savi said that the food can be a reason of leaving in Italy, I think that the food is a reason why I do not, I would just eat and eat and eat and became fat Italian Mama! 🙂
    Marysia @ My Travel Affairs recently posted…10 Things about Oman You didn’t KnowMy Profile

20. Tes from Rome
    December 29, 2014 at 8:42 am - Reply

The real Roman pizza is: “Pizza with potatoes” (Pizza con le patate), complete with rosemary and onions!!

21. Hmood
    August 29, 2015 at 5:18 am - Reply

I’v never been in Italy But I really wanna visit it and see those kind of interesting people, food, history and nature.
    Hmood recently posted…Jet Ski Dubai prices 2015 | Water SportsMy Profile