We recently received an offer to review a pair of the wireless headphones from our good friend Dr. Dre. He’s very busy so his liason, Staples, asked us but I’m sure he wanted to ask us himself. Obviously we saw the commercial recently in which Beats lays it on Seattle Seahawks fans pretty thick. Honestly, we understand why. Considering how well the Seahawks have been doing this year it only makes sense that people would be jealous, and that does cloud judgement. We at Captain and Clark, however, decided to go ahead a review the headphones on the condition that we’d get to give a pair away. We endeavor to be objective in our observations and to not let the holiday grumps of sore losers get in the way of our evaluations.
That said, we tried the Beats headphones and we emerged impressed. The single best part of them is that they cancel sounds. We found the audio to be commanding and most importantly the bass to be a tangible presence in our ears. The fact that they’re wireless only meant that we were free to roam… as a travel blogger does. The ear pieces themselves are comfortable and don’t put too much pressure on the ears. Glory.
All said, here’s our list of pros and cons:
- PHENOMENAL sound
- Great bass
- Wireless with solid distance before signal cuts out (we tested about 41 yards, which is insane)
- Great battery life
- Sturdy, we dropped them several times and roughed them up quite a bit (not because of their saucy commercials, just for science)
- Sound again. I used them for video work and could hear frequencies on the audio track that I would have missed with just my laptop speakers.
- Price – The Beats retail for around $190.00, but since they are built to last we do think it’s worth it. If you’re serious about your audio or do video or audio work like we do it’s worth it.
- No appreciation for the culture of Seattle or its fine sportsmanship. (I’ll let it slide though.)
If you’re on the market for a solid pair of headphones then we’d highly recommend Beats by Dr. Dre. Good news is, if you leave a comment, like this post on Facebook, or Tweet it out you’re automatically entered into a drawing to win a pair of Beats from Staples. We’ll announce the winner on January 4th! Huzzah!
Which headphones would you choose if you won? Check out the selection at Staples by clicking here.
Congratulations Cheryl Anne. We will be contacting you shortly. The winner has 7 days to claim their prize.