Our Travel Christmas Wish List.

It’s that time again friends. Shopping malls are packed, Christmas music is humming from every radio station, and multicolored lights are flashing from the houses in the neighborhood. Christmas is upon us and with this holiday comes a plethora of our favorite things. We’re talking peppermint hot chocolates, gingerbread houses, and endless shopping.

Our families and friends are constantly asking what it is that two perpetual travelers would want for Christmas. The easy answer? More travel. We’ve decided to compile a list of the places that we’re hoping to visit in the coming year. A Christmas wish list of travel, if you will.

Mongolia.

This country of infinite sky has been on our list for years. We think of it as the last frontier. It’s isolated in so many ways and the nomadic locals are still living off the land. For a country with harsh winters, we truly admire the tenacity of its people.

What we would do there:

– Participate in a homestay… or “ger-stay”.
– Ride around the vast plains on a horse safari.
– Practice the art of hunting with eagles.

Iceland.

How to see the northern lights

Image source.

This country of fire and ice only appeared on our radar recently. Growing up, Iceland almost seemed a country of legends. Perpetual cold never sounded so appealing. The fact that Game of Thrones is often filmed there is an added bonus.

What we would do there:

– Hunt for the Northern Lights.
– Warm our toes in the Blue Lagoon.
– Rent a car and see all the beauty that Iceland has to offer.
– Cuddle up to some Icelandic ponies.

France.

The country that holds the city of love has eluded us for years. Tawny makes no effort to hide her adoration for a country that she’s never even seen. She might have a BA in French, but she’s never been able to use the language of love in the country of its birth. What better way to please Tawny and enjoy our newly-engaged bliss than in the city of amour?

What we would do there:

– Gorge ourselves on pain au chocolat, fromage, and vin.
– Visit the Eiffel Tower (during the day and also at night).
– Walk the gardens of Versailles, decipher paintings at the Louvre, and take cheesy pictures in front of the Arc du Triomphe.
– Sing “Champs-Élysées” as we walk the Champs-Élysées.

Israel.

Israel has a casual seduction that beckons to us often. It’s a country that seems to pop up every now and then. Tawny’s engagement ring is from Israel, we have a couple of friends that live and work in Israel, and as fortune would have it, we serendipitously met a retired Israeli commander while on a long layover in Delhi. It’s a country that both intrigues and excites us. The fact that it’s steeped in so much history and culture has us enthralled.

What we would do there:

– Kick back, relax, and float in the Dead Sea.
– Roam and haggle through the Carmel Market.
– Wander through the stunning Baha’i Gardens.
– Indulge in Israeli cuisine.

Nepal.

Things to do in Nepal

Image source.

Oh, Nepal. We were so close, yet so far away from this gorgeous country on our recent trip to India. We can’t tell you how hard it was for us to not hop over the border and lose ourselves in the quiet, majestic hills.  If one more backpacker told me just how incredible and beautiful their time in Nepal was, I was going to lose it.  Big time.

What we would do there:

– Find peace during a multi-day Sadhana yoga course.
– Trek to Everest basecamp like a baller.
– Hang glide through the Himalayas.

Yes, we know that these might not be your typical stocking stuffers, but they still make pretty amazing presents.  I think the gift that we’ll give ourselves this Christmas is a promise that we’ll try make it to as many of these places as possible.  As for the places we don’t get to, we’ll just re-wrap them and put them under the tree next Christmas.

1. ChinaMatt
    November 26, 2012 at 6:37 pm - Reply

Sounds like my travel wishlist, though I’ve already been to Israel and just want to return to visit friends and have a little fun. Iceland is the most likely destination on that list that I’ll get to soon. Right now I’m looking into heading to Japan or Korea in the spring.

November 27, 2012 at 8:01 am - Reply

I was so tempted to put Korea o the list. We wanted to choose destinations that we’ve never been to but Korea has been pulling on our hearts for a while. We’re hoping to make a trip back in February. You’ll have to let us know if you make it over!

2. Kieu ~ GQ trippin
    November 27, 2012 at 1:54 am - Reply

Take the woman to Paris, C! Lol, More travel is always appreciated. I’d love to visit Iceland myself.

November 27, 2012 at 8:00 am - Reply

Right?! This girl needs to get herself to France asap. Iceland wouldn’t hurt either. 😉

3. mark
    November 27, 2012 at 6:35 am - Reply

Is that the order in which you want to visit these places, Is Mongolia #1

November 27, 2012 at 7:59 am - Reply

They’re not in any particular order but Chris has been raving about Mongolia for years. 🙂

November 27, 2012 at 9:10 am - Reply

What an interesting list!! I shall meet you in Paris 🙂 and of course will totally steal the idea for a new post!

November 27, 2012 at 5:13 pm - Reply

Sharing is caring 🙂 We would LOVE to meet up in Paris… or anywhere really!

5. Erica
    November 27, 2012 at 11:58 am - Reply

It isn’t Iceland – but you should go here when you are up north! http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/1r43nI/:1y9k.jva-:DThOCdl!/www.travelphant.com/2009/09/coolest-place-to-stay-and-see-northern.html/

November 27, 2012 at 5:14 pm - Reply

YES YES YES!!! We’ve seen this place. I even have it bookmarked in the hopes that we’ll make it someday. So cool!

6. Kent @ NVR
    November 27, 2012 at 2:46 pm - Reply

Ah, Nepal! And that picture is fantastic.

November 27, 2012 at 5:14 pm - Reply

Thanks guys! We’re back in town and would love to see you!

7. D.J. - The World of Deej
    November 28, 2012 at 5:41 am - Reply

“Trek to Everest Base Camp like a baller.”

Um…are there really any choices better than that?

November 29, 2012 at 5:54 pm - Reply

We hear that one can trek to Everest base camp like a whimp… but that’s not an option for us 😉

8. The World Wanderer
    November 28, 2012 at 4:46 pm - Reply

What an awesome list! I hope you were good this year so you can get everything on it! 🙂 (feel free to drag me along if you’d like)

November 29, 2012 at 5:54 pm - Reply

We definitely need to (finally) meet in person. Maybe we could do that in say… Iceland? Or France?

November 28, 2012 at 6:17 pm - Reply

Nice list and congrats on the engagement. I am looking forward myself to three weeks in Nepal in 2014. I usually do not plan trips so far in advanced, but I have a friend who works for the U.S. State Department and his next assignment will be Kathmandu.

November 29, 2012 at 5:53 pm - Reply

So what you’re saying is that you’re taking us to Nepal… right??

November 28, 2012 at 10:57 pm - Reply

As someone currently in Paris, I must say that it shouldn’t be a “wish” it is a necessity. Go!

November 29, 2012 at 5:53 pm - Reply

Girl, you’re preaching to the choir. I tell Chris we need to go on the daily. 🙂 I’m planning my whole “Go with Oh” campaign around it 😉

11. John
    November 29, 2012 at 5:52 am - Reply

Our lists overlap in a few places – namely Iceland and Nepal! Would love to see you guys make to as many of these as possible!

November 29, 2012 at 5:52 pm - Reply

Likewise. We hear Iceland is incredible and Nepal… is Nepal! How could we NOT go? 🙂

12. Francesca
    November 29, 2012 at 6:40 am - Reply

Your first two are my first two!! I think I’d add Nepal to my list, too. Love this. Hope Santa gives you all you wish for 🙂

November 29, 2012 at 5:52 pm - Reply

Great minds think alike! We’re hoping that we were good enough this year to see some of these under the tree 😉

November 29, 2012 at 2:56 pm - Reply

ok, so here’s the plan: you guys send this list to santa, and we’re going to write him a letter asking if he can just let us follow you around for 2013. deal? deal.

November 29, 2012 at 5:50 pm - Reply

We like it! Deal. Not sure if we’ll make it on the naughty or nice list though. We shall see. 🙂

14. Ian [EagerExistence]
    November 29, 2012 at 9:20 pm - Reply

I wouldn’t mind crossing off a few of these places myself. Can I come?
    Next post, the Honeymoon Travel Wishlist?

15. Pola (@jettingaround)
    December 1, 2012 at 12:24 am - Reply

Great list!! Iceland too is somewhere quite high up on my wish list. And yes France, well what are you waiting for?! The tower at night is one of the most amazing sights EVER. Here’s to 2013 travel!

16. Paulina`
    December 6, 2012 at 2:46 pm - Reply

Hi guys,

I love your Christmas Wish List! I’ve only been to France.

Iceland it’s also on my list, I’ve been wanting to go there since I was in middle school.

I hope your wish list comes true and that you have a wonderful Christmas and New Year.

17. campnou stadium hotels
    December 15, 2012 at 6:48 am - Reply

Very thanks for sharing such nice info for traveler lovers like me. Great list!