The Year of the Horse – What 2014 Means for You

The Year of the Horse – What 2014 Means for You

This is it, 2014. The year of the Horse officially begins on the Chinese New Year, or January 31st. This is supposed to be a time of bold adventure, passionate love affairs, and steady growth. If you’re toying with travel plans then this is the year to act. 2013 was the year of the Snake and was allegedly a time of transformation. A year to shed one’s skin, so to speak. I don’t know about all of you, but I’d say that held true for us. So many major transformations and life achievements happened last year. So many new paths opened up. This year is the year that you capitalize on those options.

what does the year of the horse meanAccording to Chinese philosophy, the year of the Horse (specifically the “wood horse” for 2014) will be a time of bold action and strong growth. Much like a wild horse running through the field. You can take the changes you made last year and bolster them. You can nurture them with the sweet nectar of decisive action and watch them grow to a hundred fold of your wildest ambitions.

Personally, I am a huge fan of self-manifested destiny. The idea that we can make our lives into what we want by hard work and focused will is very appealing. That’s why I challenge all of you to take the year of the Horse by the reigns, so to speak. Make a list before January 31st, noting all the accomplishments and changes that you saw in the year of the Snake. Then, figure out which ones you want to propel you through the coming year. Let 2014 be your flagship, the paving stone that sets you off on a grand adventure. Make plans. Dream dreams. Arrange a trip. Go off on a quest with the purpose of changing your life. We’ll do the same.

2014 is the Year of the Horse

Here’s to the year of the Horse! May we all embark on a journey that scares us, and return stronger and more passionate than when we left. May our dreams become tangible, and our pockets overflow with wisdom and experience. Or cash. Both are good.

Either way, ride your dreams to the top this year.

the year of the horse

1. Alana - Paper Planes
    January 13, 2014 at 7:36 am - Reply

Did you take those photos at Vantage just for this post? Either way, I’m impressed with them…

Living in Thailand, where there’s a lot of Chinese history and ancestry, people take the New Year and it’s different animal meanings seriously. I guess for every year there are certain years/animals that don’t jive together and they’ve recently had astrologists on popular Thai television shows warning people who are in for an unlucky year and giving tips on how they can avoid it or protect themselves… I learn something new here every day…
    Alana – Paper Planes recently posted…>> What to Pack When You’re Moving to Southeast Asia >>My Profile

January 13, 2014 at 11:38 am - Reply

Strangely enough, we end up going through Vantage more often than you’d think. The hike up to the top is how we stay so skinny.

2. Colleen Brynn
    January 13, 2014 at 2:35 pm - Reply

Maybe I’m a year behind because I think I’m shedding some skin this year. Or maybe I’m going to combine both years. Yep. That’s what I’m going to do.
    Colleen Brynn recently posted…Where Everything Was CuteMy Profile

3. Michael
    January 14, 2014 at 10:19 pm - Reply

I’m born in the year of the horse, so I’m hoping for a good year! I like the idea of riding my dreams to the top!

January 15, 2014 at 7:07 am - Reply

Here’s to a fab 2014!
    @mrsoaroundworld recently posted…Barefoot Beach Luxury Holiday GuideMy Profile

January 15, 2014 at 7:04 pm - Reply

This is the year I get up from the RWTBEX couch and attend a conference. I can’t wait, bring it on.
    Traveling Ted recently posted…Getting your groove on at the Sarawak Cultural VillageMy Profile

6. Lance | Trips By Lance
    January 16, 2014 at 1:27 pm - Reply

I’m grabbing that horse by the reins and running with it! I actually agree with how things seemed to have fallen into place for me with the transformation last year. Here’s to 2014!
    Lance | Trips By Lance recently posted…Indianapolis Children’s Guide (A Child’s Perspective)My Profile

7. D.J. - The World of Deej
    January 20, 2014 at 3:14 pm - Reply

Ironically, my town is known as the “Horse Capital of the World” because nearly all of the thoroughbreds are raised here before going to Kentucky for training. I have never once been on a horse…. Maybe for me the year of the horse should be the year I finally ride one…
    D.J. – The World of Deej recently posted…Bellagio Day – Exploring The New Symbol Of Las VegasMy Profile

8. Erin at The World Wanderer
    January 20, 2014 at 5:57 pm - Reply

I knew it was going to be a good year! Thanks for confirming it. 🙂

I just love this, ” Let 2014 be your flagship, the paving stone that sets you off on a grand adventure. Make plans. Dream dreams. Arrange a trip. Go off on a quest with the purpose of changing your life. We’ll do the same.”

I am listening to your advice loud and clear. One thing, can we please have a trip together?! Also, those pictures of Chris – love! xx
    Erin at The World Wanderer recently posted…Music Monday: Dead Sea.My Profile

January 21, 2014 at 6:57 am - Reply

ooo i just love this post. it’s funny… yesterday i had one of those A HA moments where i was like “hey, all you gotta do i visualize what you want and make it happen Lola” so i guess we are on the same page for the year of the horse.

January 24, 2014 at 3:30 am - Reply

we like this, we like this! we also like those pictures of the captain, they really help us visualize just how aggressive we should be when tackling 2014 and making it our bitch.