Why we miss Korea. [photo journal]

It’s been seven months since we returned from Korea and I can say with absolute honesty that I miss that country more than I’ve missed any other in my entire life.  I knew I was going to miss it months before we even left.  I tried to soak up as much of it as I could.  I’d take long walks through our neighborhood, savor every last bite of hotteok and samgyupsal, arrange memorable outings with our Korean friends, and take as many pictures as possible.  Did it work?  Maybe… but I still miss it like crazy.  I miss our amazing friends, the delicious food, the laid back schedule we had, and the nice paychecks we made.

What do you call it when you miss living in a country that isn’t your own?  I feel homesick.  I long for the food, our friends, the lifestyle, even the smells of Korea.  Korea felt so much like home.  We made it our home for two years.  I’m Koreasick?  That doesn’t quite sound right.  Regardless, both Chris and I miss Korea.

We were going through the photos we took of our last few weeks in the country and realized that we hadn’t shared most of them on this blog.  So today, we’re going to take a walk down memory lane.  We hope they ignite even a fraction of the spark that we have for Korea.

1. Jim
    January 12, 2012 at 7:43 am - Reply

I know just how you feel. I’ve lived in Korea for 2 years and am leaving in less than 2 months. While I’m excited for my forthcoming travels, I’m very, very sad to be leaving Korea.

January 12, 2012 at 8:55 am - Reply

It is unlike any other place, somehow it finds its way into your heart.

• foil
        October 30, 2013 at 5:58 pm - Reply

It’s so true. I am missing it very much. Glad to find others. Thought this only happened to me.

2. Christine
    January 12, 2012 at 3:17 pm - Reply

Ahhhh I feel this way about Australia–can totally relate! Awesome photos, definitely keen to check out Korea now 🙂

January 12, 2012 at 4:19 pm - Reply

You’d love Korea, no doubt! Chris has spent some time in Australia but I’ve never been. I can definitely seeing myself falling in love with the country. I’ve heard only great things!

3. Sarah
    January 12, 2012 at 5:11 pm - Reply

Oh gosh, this post made my heart flutter a little.

I’ve been away from Korea for just over 7 months and although I will be going back in less than a month, I still think about it every day.

It seriously boggles my mind, why is it that I am more comfortable in a country where I am without all those “comforts” of home? I don’t understand food labels, I can’t find my favourite shampoo, and it sometimes can be really difficult to talk about money in the millions.

But seriously Korea, I miss you.

January 13, 2012 at 12:07 pm - Reply

We are right there with you! When we were in Korea I longed for those comforts of home… Mexican food, cheese, and a bath tub. Now, I’d happily trade it all back to be in Korea again. You’re luck that you’ll be back soon. Where will you be living? We’re hoping to be back to visit in a few months. Maybe we’ll be able to rendezvous! 🙂

4. Audrey | That Backpacker
    January 13, 2012 at 10:07 am - Reply

I’m heading there next month and I am so excited!! I have a feeling I’m going to like it A LOT! 😀

January 13, 2012 at 12:09 pm - Reply

You will LOVE Korea. There’s no doubt in our minds. Be sure to fill up on hotteok and samgyupsal for us! How long will you be there for and where are you visiting? We have all in info on our beautiful coastal town of Pohang 🙂 Don’t hesitate to ask.

5. Nikki Wynn
    January 13, 2012 at 5:06 pm - Reply

Awe, love the photos! I have found that it’s hard not to be romantic about any place that holds great memories. Just think of all the other places you are going to be “home sick” about once you finish the Maverick Expedition!

January 14, 2012 at 7:49 pm - Reply

Thanks Nikki! You’re right, it IS hard not to be romantic about most places. You two are lucky that you get to take your home with you! I bet there are a few views that you miss every now and then though 🙂 Hoping to meet up with you two on the road soon.

6. Spencer
    January 18, 2012 at 11:08 pm - Reply

What a great set of photos! I love that beach.

7. Stephanie
    January 21, 2012 at 3:43 pm - Reply

You guys did an amazing job capturing the spirit, uniqueness, and beauty of Korea. I absolutely love your pictures!! As a half-Korean American (other half Chinese), I’ve grown up visiting Korea regularly, and I lived there for a year teaching English. Your post made me miss Korea, too! Thanks for sharing.

January 23, 2012 at 4:27 pm - Reply

We’re glad you enjoyed the pictures. Korea is a wonderful country that is often underestimated when it comes to tourism. There’s so much to do and see… and the food is spectacular! When will you be back?

8. Jaclyn
    March 26, 2012 at 3:24 pm - Reply

I miss Korea so badly. I’ve been in love with Korea even since I first saw the Korean drama 대장금 (Dae Jang Geum) back in 2006. I studied abroad last summer at Ewha Womans University and going back to study at the same university this summer. I’m terribly missing Korea right now. I’m missing traditional Korean music (I played gayageum/가야금 at Ewha) and I have no access to any instruments in the US. I miss the sting of playing and it literally rips the skin off the fingers but it gets better as callouses develop. I miss cheap street food. I miss how green Korea is and all the nature and hiking. I miss older Korean people and how kind and nice they, as well as any Korean, can be. I miss cheap, fast public transportation. I miss seeing people actually walking down the street (a novel concept for the US with everyone in their cars). I miss the beauty of Korea.

I love your 붕어빵 (fish bread) picture. I miss those too! I love the little stores or stalls in the subway that sells those with different flavours in the inside. I can only find ones with 팥 that are frozen in the US.

I can’t wait until I’m back in Korea this summer for two months and then graduate in December and then go to teach early 2013.

9. Shawn
    August 23, 2014 at 3:01 pm - Reply

I spent 7 years living in Korea. Although I’ve been in Vancouver for barely a month, I really want a second chance at enjoying life there even more.