• Saturday , 25 October 2014

Post cards that will literally take us around the world. [video]

If you’ve been around Captain and Clark for a while, you know all about the Maverick Expedition.  It’s an adventure that we’ve spent years planning.  We thought it was time that we gave everyone a little update as to what’s happening and where we’re planning on going from here.  It was also time to make a new sizzle reel.

Let’s start by talking about the progress that we’ve made.  We’ve come leaps and bounds from where we were when we left Korea a year ago.  We started phase one of the expedition.  We made it down to the Galapagos islands and retrieved 22 letters addressed to strangers all across the globe!

Getting to the post barrel on Floreana island was a feat in and of itself.  We’re so grateful that the donations we received from our IndieGoGo campaign helped sponsor our Galapagos Odyssey cruise to and from the island.  We weren’t aware that the only way for us to get to the post barrel was by cruise ship.  We thought we could take a ferry or hire our own boat.  Cruises in the Galapagos are very expensive, and we were very fortunate to have gotten one for such a great price.

So what are our plans now?  Good question.  The main thing that we’re wrestling with is how to present our adventure.  The Maverick Expedition is such a unique concept that we want to make sure that we showcase it properly.  Ideally, we’d like to deliver all of the letters in one fell swoop.  We don’t want to deliver one letter here, return home to gather more funds, and then embark to deliver another letter.

We’re also not sure how we want to shoot it.  Planning before filming is not something that we’re necessarily good at.  We have a guerrilla style of shooting.  We normally take all the shots we want, and then somehow piece it together.  The Maverick Expedition is something that needs to be carefully thought out if we want to do it right.

And, of course, there’s the money.  Since we want to deliver the letters in one go, we’re basically planning (and saving) for a RTW trip.  Since we’re freelance videographers, we have no idea when we’ll be booking jobs and what kind of money we can expect to get in.  We’re definitely not complaining about the path we chose, just rethinking of how to make this work.

We are forever grateful to those of you that have followed our journey from the start, and those that are joining us now.  We cannot wait to see how this story ends and we look forward to this adventure of a lifetime.

——–

1. Josh
    May 8, 2012 at 2:20 pm - Reply

Holy awesome. Words can’t even describe how amazing I think this is.

2. Nicholas marks
    May 13, 2012 at 3:26 pm - Reply

Haha love the video guys, very creative. I am glad you haven’t lost site of the dream. Keep writing :)

3. Madeline Julia
    June 8, 2012 at 9:22 am - Reply

Last time you guys had a fund-raiser for this I was a bum in India and thought about it really hard before giving $5. Now I could be a little more generous. When is your next drive?

June 11, 2012 at 1:37 pm - Reply

Your $5 definitely helped us get to the Galapagos to retrieve the letters! We truly appreciate your donation. We’re not sure when we’ll have our next campaign but we will be sure to keep you informed. Where in the world are you these days?

4. Micki@TheBarefootNomad
    June 12, 2012 at 11:21 am - Reply

What a great concept! I’m so glad that I stumbled on your blog!

5. Terry Denton
    June 29, 2012 at 12:35 pm - Reply

Sounds like a grand adventue!

I recently began blogging myself. If you have a moment, check out my admittedly quirky travel blog at http://www.travelbyterry.com. It’s a fun read, or meant to be at least. ;0)

Travel Safe!

6. D.J. - The World of Deej
    July 5, 2012 at 8:51 am - Reply

My wife did this when she visited the islands…she came home with a few letters that she mailed…

7. Chase Buckner
    July 5, 2012 at 2:47 pm - Reply

What an awesome idea. You guys should definitely get this project on kickstarter.com. You’d easily raise the money you need.

8. John
    July 6, 2012 at 6:34 am - Reply

Amazing concept an an amazing adventure, thanks for sharing! I would love to go to the galapagos some time (who wouldn’t?) but it’s so expensive. Nice to see you were able to make it there.

July 6, 2012 at 7:12 am - Reply

I LOVE this idea and your video, as always, is totally awesome. Travel stories like these are what it’s all about. Good on you both. I can’t wait to read (and see!) more.

10. Pola (@jettingaround)
    July 6, 2012 at 7:23 am - Reply

Nice video. Good luck guys!!

11. The World Wanderer
    July 6, 2012 at 7:40 am - Reply

What a wonderful idea! I love how you are turning the delivery of the letters into a RTW trip, it’s genius.

July 6, 2012 at 10:03 am - Reply

this is amazing! we second the vote to get on kickstarter. people would absolutely fund this!

July 6, 2012 at 11:32 am - Reply

you two are so kick ass! i love this. i know you will work it out because this idea is too great not to be worked out! :)

14. Raul (ilivetotravel in Twitter)
    July 6, 2012 at 5:05 pm - Reply

You have such a neat way to tell a story! I am glad you don’t plan!! :)

July 7, 2012 at 2:31 pm - Reply

Very awesome video and concept. I have a 30 second attention span on the internet, and I watched the whole first video and read the entire post. I will look at the other video at a later time.

16. Craig Zabransky
    July 7, 2012 at 10:15 pm - Reply

I remain a big fan of snail mail and think this is a fantastic idea. Really enjoyed the video too. I’ll admit I am curious as why you selected 22 letters, but nonetheless you have some great locations to visit.

stay adventurous, Craig

17. Ava Apollo
    August 2, 2012 at 12:28 pm - Reply

I love the intro! You guys are great with the video shooting and editing. Can’t wait to follow along. This is a fabulous idea.

18. Jason Wynn
    August 29, 2012 at 9:23 pm - Reply

Hey Guys, I can’t wait to see all this unfold. If you haven’t completed your journey in the next 2 years we’re going to sell our RV, buy a sailboat, and adult-nap you to complete the Maverick Expedition arm-in-arm. Gone With the Wynns + Captain & Clark = well i haven’t come up with a good name yet….

19. Daniel
    October 6, 2012 at 8:04 am - Reply

Loved the video and filmed it. Can totally understand what you mean by your guerilla style of filming. Haha. Good luck with delivering all those 22 letters! We’ll be following your story all the way! :)

//Daniel

20. Hogga
    October 18, 2012 at 7:20 am - Reply

You are my heroes – can I have a poster of you and hang it above my bed?

21. Trudy
    October 23, 2012 at 1:14 pm - Reply

This is awesome!!! I really hope you get it happening. I want to see where you end up and who the letters are for. I’m hooked ;)

22. Susan @ Cruise Vacation
    December 28, 2012 at 1:11 am - Reply

There is no words to say. Simply amazing concept I must say. Thanks for sharing and I feel really lucky to visit it.
    Susan @ Cruise Vacation recently posted…Celebrate This New Years Eve with Special Cruise Lines and Vacation PackagesMy Profile