Croatia through food

I honestly believe that one of the best ways to experience the culture of a destination is through its food. This could not have held more true for the country of Croatia. I could literally taste the country’s tumultuous history through the meals that we enjoyed. We found traces of Austria and Hungary with the schnitzel and strudels in Zagreb, and could taste the fact that Venice once controlled the coastal cities of Opatika and Rijeka in the delicious pastas, pizzas, and gnocchi.

I loved that the majority of our meals started with a charcuterie plate. In most cases, the cheese that accompanied the cured meats came from the island of Pag. As a self proclaimed cheese connoisseur, I found Pag’s sheep cheese to be the perfect blend of sharp and creamy.

Until scratch and taste computer monitors are invented, I’m stuck with leaving you these mouthwatering pictures that will at least give you a visual of all the deliciousness that awaits you in Croatia.

Breakfast food of Croatia

One of the many exquisite hotel breakfasts that we enjoyed.

Gnocci in Croatia food of Croatia

A creamy gorgonzola gnocchi.

Food of Croatia dessert chocolate mousse

A chocolate and chestnut mousse

Food of Croatia dessert strudel

Berry strudel in Zagreb

Food of Croatia charcuterie plate pag cheese

One of many charcuterie plates

Food in Croatia

Steak with a creamy chestnut sauce and a side of perfectly cooked pasta

Pag cheese food of croatia

Four cheese pizza enjoyed in Pag, Croatia

IMG_6663

Tart Maraska cherry juice in Zadar, Croatia

IMG_6616

Cured meats and Pag cheese

Delicious food of croatia

One of my favorite meals from Croatia. Light and fluffy gorgonzola gnocchi with turkey medallions.

Maraschino drink Croatia

A glass of local Maraschino in Zadar, Croatia. We might have brought a few bottles home with us.  IMG_6413 IMG_6484Croatian food  IMG_2460 IMG_2672 IMG_2678 IMG_6607 IMG_6666 IMG_6669 IMG_6672 IMG_6673 IMG_6676 IMG_6684 IMG_6688

Which dish looked the most delicious to you? Have you tasted Croatia yet? We would love to hear your experience in the comment section below.

We were guests of Croatia courtesy of The Croatia Tourism Board and DQMPR. All thoughts, opinions, and weight gain are our own.

1. Kait
    October 30, 2013 at 5:41 am - Reply

Is that pašticada under the cheersing glasses of wine? Hands down my favorite Croatian dish!

2. Maria
    October 30, 2013 at 7:07 am - Reply

Love the way you’re showing me Croatia via Food – it all looks amazing.
    Maria recently posted…Wordless Wednesday – Ogoh-ogohMy Profile

3. Tiphanya
    October 30, 2013 at 9:47 am - Reply

We had a great time in Zagreb. I loved the burek and the hot chocolate, as well as the fresh fruits and vegetables on the market.
    Tiphanya recently posted…Voyageurs : chefs d’entreprise, nomades, parentsMy Profile

4. Zara @ Backpack ME
    October 31, 2013 at 5:14 am - Reply

I confess I didn’t know anything about food in Croatia before reading your post here.
    Well, it all looks very appetizing and worth the trip – I see you guys didn’t waste your foodie time around Croatia. YUMMY photos! 😀
    Zara @ Backpack ME recently posted…Casino LisboaMy Profile

5. Michael
    October 31, 2013 at 6:09 am - Reply

It all looks good 🙂

Next time we are there, we’ll have to try the gnocchi with turkey medallions.
    Michael recently posted…Top Things to do in Venice ItalyMy Profile

6. Kathryn Dilligard
    November 1, 2013 at 7:33 am - Reply

You haven’t fully experienced the place without trying their cuisines
    Kathryn Dilligard recently posted…The Site OwlMy Profile

7. Benjamin@asap
    November 3, 2013 at 11:35 pm - Reply

Am absolutely in love with that chocolate and chestnut mousse ..Gnocchi is something that I havent really tasted till date…

8. Kirsten Alana
    November 18, 2013 at 6:22 am - Reply

I’m still craving that gorgonzola and bacon gnocchi!!!
    Kirsten Alana recently posted…Why I Chose to Work with HouseTripMy Profile

9. Adam Burton
    November 19, 2013 at 2:24 am - Reply

Those are very tasty food. I have to admit I salivated while I was watching those yummy pictures.

10. Dan
    December 3, 2014 at 6:06 am - Reply

For anyone who doesn’t know what Croatian cooking is about and wants to experience it in a typical Croatian little village setting- visit Etno selo or Etno village in English. This place is a small constructed village at the Solaris camp site or beach which has been turned into a restaurant serving Croatian specialities. An amazing place of food and the best restaurant setting I have experienced in the world as you cant stop taking pictures. Home made bread made the traditional way and waiters wearing traditional Dalmatian attire. Try the veal Peka if nothing else. A meal you will never forget

December 3, 2014 at 9:31 am - Reply

And we’re drooling! Homemade bread is the way to our hearts. You’re making us miss the country even more!

11. Gerard ~ GQ trippin
    March 6, 2016 at 7:32 pm - Reply

So where was this Light and fluffy gorgonzola gnocchi with turkey medallions from missy?

March 13, 2016 at 9:01 pm - Reply

You can find this DELICIOUS meal almost everywhere but this particular one was from a restaurant on Skalinska street. I’m going to try to find the name for it right meow and get back to you. 🙂

March 13, 2016 at 9:03 pm - Reply

Ok, got it. I believe it’s from Restoran Lanterna na Dolcu. I think we might have even gone back when we revistited Croatia for the 2nd time.